Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting Rid Of Your 'Idols'

By Rev. Elder Johnny Lee Clary



Although I like the TV show, I personally don’t like the name “American Idol” or “Australian Idol.” Webster’s dictionary describes the word ‘idol’ as a noun meaning : a representation or symbol of an object of worship; broadly : a false god. They need to change the name of that show.

When someone says a person is their idol, they are in essence saying, “This is my god.” Not only is this wrong but they are committing blasphemy when they do so and I promise you that does not make God happy.

Bad habits come from bad choices. God said in Deuteronomy 12:2-3, “Completely destroy all the worship sites on the high mountains, on the hills, and under every large tree. The people you're forcing out worship their gods in these places. Tear down their altars, crush their sacred stones, burn their poles dedicated to the goddess Asherah, cut down their idols, and wipe out the names of their gods from those places.”

God commanded this so His children would not be tempted to worship those idols themselves. I have seen people go absolutely nuts at concerts I have attended all of my life, ‘idolizing’ singers and other celebrities. Hank Williams Jr. had a song out years ago called, ‘Old Habits Like You Are Hard To Break.” Well I say yes they may be hard to break but either you break them or you will be broken because God will not be mocked. Whatsoever a person sows that will they also reap. (Galatians 6:7)

Many Christians are caught up in this hoopla also. I remember when I attended a church in Tulsa many celebrities went there also. One was the well-known gospel singer Carman. Thousands of girls were there thinking they were going to marry him or the pastor who was also single. Carman sat up in the balcony and it was not uncommon to see dozens of girls downstairs with their heads turned around and looking up at Carman while the pastor was preaching. I had more than one girl ask me to introduce them to Carman which I never did. How embarrassing. Carman had to call the cops more than once out to his home to take crazy fans away.



I have had my share of stalkers too, although not to the extent Carman has since he is much more well known than I am. I had one girl from Georgia follow me to several places around America stalking me when I preached and when I told her to stop and never contact me again, she went home and took a bottle of sleeping pills. She called some people and told them what she did and they called the ambulance who got there just in time. There was another girl that stalked me and her pastor tried to talk to her and said it was no use. He said he went to her house and she had made a shrine to me with my pictures up all over everywhere. It gave me the creeps especially when she said, “If I can’t have you nobody can!” Reminds me of the movies ‘Fatal Attraction” or “Play Misty For Me.” The police would not do anything. She made my life a nightmare. She stalked me for a year making hundreds of calls to me as well as relatives of mine, making threats to my life before she stopped and that was only after I threatened to shoot her.

People go way over the top and no one should make an idol out of anything or anyone. God should be our only object of worship.

What is so sad with the show “American Idol” is that these people beg and plead and will do anything, including making fools out of themselves in order to get that shot at being the next “idol.” If they would put half the time they spend trying to be an “idol” into serving God we would already have our nation Christianized like it should be.

Take a look at your life and see if there is anything that interferes with your relationship or time with God. Are you spending too much time on the golf course? How about too much time going to sporting events? How about your girlfriend or boyfriend? Dating relationships can become idols too. Sometimes kids can get into making good grades to where their school work takes first priority over everything, even God, the Bible and church. They become obsessed with making that A until that is all that matters to them. Don’t allow a TV show, a magazine, an IPOD, your favorite hangout, a group of friends or even your school work to become an idol in your life. Don’t let anything steer you away from God. Put God as number one over anybody and anything and make sure he is your ONLY Idol!




©Johnny Lee Clary Ministries
www.johnnyleeclary.com
All Rights Reserved


Rev. Johnny Lee Clary is one of the leading advocates for racial unity in the United States and has appeared on countless television and radio shows such as The Billy Graham Radio show, Fox News, Morris Cerullo, Oprah, Morton Downey Jr., Rolanda Watts, Geraldo, Sally Jesse Raphael, Jerry Springer, Ricki Lake, Queen Latifah, Montel Williams, Phil Donahue, A&E Investigative Reports, ABC World News Tonight, Bertrice Berry, Sunrise Today,
The Today Show, A Current Affair, The 700 Club, and Kenneth Copeland's TV show. He has also been a regular guest on TBN's Praise The Lord show and has been featured in America's top newspapers and magazines, including a seven page feature story in Charisma magazine in April 1999, Moody Magazine, Guidepost Magazine (Sept. 1998), Kenneth Copeland's Believer's Voice of Victory magazine, as well as appearances on TV programs in Australia, England, Holland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, and Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment